Pinker, Stanley (1924 – )
Stanley Pinker was born in 1924 in Windhoek, Namibia.Between 1947 – 1950 he studied at Continental
Art School in Cape Town, under Maurice Van Essche. Between 1954 – 1956 he studied lithography at
Hammersmith School of Art in London, under Alistair Grant.
In 1952 he was a guest artist on the International Art Club’s exhibition in Cape Town. Two of his works
were reproduced for an article on SA art done by Walter Battiss and published in “The Studio”. At this
stage he sought to project an African spirit in his work, the influence of Maurice Van Essche. In 1954 he
held his first solo exhibition and then returned to Europe and lived in London and Nice for the next 10
years. He returned to Cape Town in 1964 where he joined the newly-established Cape Town Art Centre
as a teacher. In 1969 he was appointed as a lecturer at Michaelis School in Cape Town.
[imasters-wp-faq cat=’44’ filters=’no’]